Monday, January 24, 2005

Retail management –1. Non profit +1?

As I (David) was patrolling the campus last week, Doug, one of the custodians stopped me for a brief chat. He told me that when he stopped off at Snyder’s the other day, Andy had informed him that the store would be closing for the night shift. Later that morning I tried to call Andy to see how the news was affecting him. He wasn’t answering. On Friday morning however, he answered. I stopped by his house after work to get the low down.

Andy said that he doesn’t need his current 38k per year, but he is guessing that he would have to sell the house if he couldn’t pull in 32k. But he wasn’t too worried. Paul quit his job at the Triple Rock so as to return to the high-pay temp jobs. That way he can pay more rent. Similarly, Andy’s ma took a new job that pays around 60k. She is doing the same sort of work only this time it is connecting home care RNs with patients. Plus Andy already has two high paying part time youth phone counseling jobs lined up. One is for “crippled” youth and the other for “drug fiend” youth. Health benefits are always nice though, so Andy hasn’t given up possible need to pursue professional careers.

I parted by telling Andy I’d keep him in mind as I conducted my own job search. I even told him of my latest pursuits on the odd chance that he’d take a greater interest than that of my own. The latest and most promising opportunity to drop into my lap (Dad didn’t believe me when I told him that the jobs would come to me) is an executive director position with an interstate bicycle advocacy organization. I’ve got everything they need except a bucket load of experience, but then the job description didn’t ask for that anyway. Additionally, last Thursday at the studded tire making class, Andrew mentioned to me the potential earnings one could make as our organization’s executive director. It’s a promising possibility, but knowing how close to the edge the organization is, I know I’d have my work cut out for me. It’s something I’d definitely love to do, but I’m not sure I’m ready to stake my future on it. The last of the more promising positions I’ve become aware of hasn’t become available yet. Rather, it is merely word on the street. But there is a chance something may open up, the responsibilities of which Heather is confident would be second nature for me.

Yet until I know for certain how likely it is that I will end up in one of these gigs, I’ll continue working my great job here on campus. When I end up leaving here I’m going to miss all of the luxuries I have, like being able to go jam on a piano for a while. Hopefully all will work out harmoniously with Andy as well.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lunatic Biker said...

Off topic of this post which is well written. After reading your comment on title stealing, I checked your archives and found Look Ma, No Hands. I hope there aren't others. Any stealing of this title was unintentional. No disrespect intended.

7:21 AM  
Blogger hands said...

None taken. My comment was an attempt at humor. After seeing Jeremy had stolen the "Look ma" title, I ignored the possibility that your similar title may simply be coincidence. Nevertheless I found no harm in it. Yet I can see how accusing you of pilfering as an inside joke that no one bothered to clue you in on can come across as offence having been taken.

6:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

.