Wednesday, May 18, 2005

30-års Jiggen

Väsen's Thirty Year Jig

So here is another late entry. This time however, I (David) wasn’t waiting for someone else to mention something first. Rather, I was waiting for visual aids. Heather and I purchased a new (non Fisher Price) digital camera recently, and rather than say that I’ve been too busy watching TV or listening to music to upload the camera’s photos, I’ll just say the new technologically advanced camera scares me.

So you might be wondering what was photo worthy, no? Well, last Friday was my 30th birthday party. No bigfoots or UFOs were there, but since we snapped a couple of shots of the celebrations, I thought it’d be nice to share. So yeah, I’m 30 now. And as I sit here typing this at work, it’s a bit frightening to realize that I have spent nearly one third of my life working at this institution. One would think that with loyalty like that, I’d have nothing but good things to say about the place. It would make sense. Of course, as we like to say here, “If it makes sense, we’re not doin’ it”.

The next photo worthy event was the SHSK concert. Prior to the concert, Heather and I visited grandma Ruthie, but I’m not sure she would have appreciated being photographed while in her hospital bed. The concert that night went well. The venue and patrons weren’t quite what I expected, but it all made for a good show nonetheless. Heather and I both managed to forget our various digital cameras. Fortunately, Sis’ Dad brought his analog SLR. Of course, the downside of this is that the photos have to be developed before they can be scanned and uploaded. So, again, no visual aid (yet).

Sunday was the combined brothers’ birthday/mother’s day celebration. Again, no camera. But in looking through photo archives, it would appear that there have been several similar types of celebrations, and the photos wouldn’t have been all that much different. Peter managed to light the BBQ without incident, so there were no missed photo opportunities there.

So that brings us up to date on any relevant matters that would be best aided by photo links. Yet to put a good spin on this lack of photos, I would like to point out that everyone should be thankful that I am not eligible to participate in the latest photo trend amongst certain members of the bicycling community. As a semi-regular follower of the single speed / fixed gear postings on bikefourms.net, I have witnessed several fourm threads of predominantly male riders seeking to objectify female fixed gear riders by requesting photos of them on their machines. Well apparently one female rider has had enough of such solicitations, and has decided to turn the tables. Fortunately, I don’t ride fixed gear bikes, and thus, am exempted from expectations to participate in the website that features fixed males one their bikes in their underwear. So be glad for that. I also won’t be seeking permission to submit a version of Peter’s famous photo, as he was riding a freewheel bike at the time.

3 Comments:

Blogger hereNT said...

I believe she actually has a SS section. You just can't have gears.

You could probably even get away with the coaster brake ;)

10:54 AM  
Blogger hands said...

What ever happened to the purist fixed gear culture? Next thing you know, all of my Sturmey Archer equipped bikes will become acceptable provided I take the shifters off.

2:23 AM  
Blogger John said...

I meant to bake you this dalek cake for your birthday...but I didn't.

7:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

.