Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Broken Cars and Bones

David and I have been anticipating a few costly repairs on our, ahem, MY cars recently. Both the Honda and the Buick are in need of a visit to the shop. I shouldn't really be driving right now anyway. You see, in addition to broken cars, I found out Wednesday that I have a broken bone in my foot. I've been having pain for about a month now. About 3 weeks ago, I went to a regular doctor and she ordered x-rays on my foot. After about 8 different shots, she told me that the x-rays looked fine and that I probably just had tendonitis. She had to consult her orthopaedic manual just to make sure - a sure sign that I should have sought a second opinion right away. She told me to stay off it for a few weeks (like that's possible) take ibuprofen and ice it. A radiologist even called me a few days later to tell me that the x-rays looked fine. After three weeks went by, I was still having severe pain. I decided it was time to see a podiatrist. He took one look at the x-rays from three weeks ago and showed me where my bone was broken! I asked him why the others didn't catch it. He responded by saying, "that's why I'm the expert." So after a few more painful x-rays to show other angles of the bone, he gave me the option of using crutches or an air cast for a month. I picked the cast, despite the fact that I still have crutches from years ago sitting in my garage. So for the next month or so, I will have a big plastic boot attached to my lower leg and foot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

.