Monday, July 25, 2005

Homes

It seems that everyone is buying homes these days. Matt just moved into his new one, and 3 various family members (four if you don’t count couples) purchased homes (2 for the first time). Perhaps we’re trendsetters.

Dad (Mr. Brier) came to town to hone his home improvement skills and “take a vacation”. We’ve been contemplating the idea of brining him over to Matt’s century old house and see what sort of brainstorm could occur when the minds meet.

I (David) was out cruising around on Friday and decided to leisurely ride through the alley of the old Skelton house on Arlington. I saw former neighbors Carol and Scott leaving their back door to go do some errands or something. Remembering how maliciously ‘anti-fun’ these paranoid parents were back when I was a pre-teen (they wouldn’t help me and Justin get the childproof cap off of the lighter fluid), I decided to take a second run through the alley so as to vengefully give them the impression that I was casing their house in order to burgle it. I didn’t stick around long enough to judge my success by the reaction on their faces because I was distracted by a car pulling into the family’s old driveway. So I biked down the alley a third time and chatted with the owner of the house for a while. She seemed like the type who enjoys talking, and she went into great detail about the changes that have been made over the last 14 years. Most of the more devastating changes she wasn’t responsible for. I think that the only thing she did that a family member would scoff at was remove the back porch. I suspect that my brother would be the only one to hold that against her, and that would simply be because he spent so much time helping to build the thing.

After I told the owner “I should get going” a few times, she finally let me go. But she invited me to stop back again sometime; potentially for a tour. Perhaps Dad, Heather, and I can set a day aside and call it our own miniature parade of turn-of-the-century-east-side homes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

.