Monday, January 16, 2006

Black like a kettle. Or a pot. Or a frying pan.

Happy MLK day!

Today, instead of partaking in one or more of the many meaningful ways Americans typically celebrate the King, such as by attending special super blowout sales at local retailers, I (David) had opted to take advantage of the extra downtime at work by seasoning the cast iron cookware that dad had brought up during the previous holiday.

The original plan was to spend a lot of the weekend scraping the rust and chard bits off of the pans so that I could spend all morning baking them during my downtime while there was no one else here. However the weekend ended up being extra social, so I only had a chance to finish one pan. And since I couldn't get the ventilation hoods to work, I was only able to bake for about an hour before the smoke became a significant issue. So the new plan is, rather than wait for the next holiday, I will simply finish scraping the pans at my own pace, and fire them outside over the hot coals of the BBQ grill. “Hey neighbor, smells delicious, watch-ya grillin'?” “Frying pans. Care for one?”

So the rest of this morning's downtime is meant for blogging, I guess. Which is good because Heather and I had fun this weekend with our social engagements. We made sure to bring extra significance to our discussions with friends and family by probing them for their thoughts on a potential schedule change I had been considering. On Friday we hung out with Andy who used to work a 77 hour work week. Saturday we went to visit Matt and Christine. Matt used to work a double shifts on the weekends at St. Kate's while obtaining his master's degree and raising two kids. On Sunday Mom and Peter came over, and in addition to talking about work and other adventures, I was asked to demonstrate what I've been learning with the new accordion. Not everyone was so lucky though. Andy's mom had been disappointed when we had arrived at their house without her old squeeze box. But I'm sure I'll more than make up for it when I put her down as the first name on the guest list when I'm asked to fill in to an ill Flaco Jimenez.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://MattnChristine.blogspot.com

we had to start a blog to respond to your blog ...

so ...
we think your blog is pretty cool ...

10:56 PM  
Blogger hands said...

Thanks, Eh.

2:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

.