Tuesday, April 11, 2006

A slick slope

Last night WCCO ran a special news segment on the pending future oil crisis. As always, I was attentive to such a story because of fear they brings out in me. The implication of what sort of drastic changes need to take place in order to accommodate our consumptions habits is truly awesome.

But I found WCCO's coverage to be quite laughable. Particularly their panel of 'man-on-the-street' type guests who they interviewed so as to see what sort of changes they anticipated making when gas costs triple. “Well I'll probably have to start carpooling” and “I probably use the SUV less often” were the typical replies. Wow! No thoughts were given to practices such as importing “fresh” food from far distant countries, or all the “sanitary” food packaging processes, or transporting freight of cheap imported crap across the country in 18-wheeled trucks. No suggestions were made toward ideas like sustaining oneself on locally grown/made foods, changing our economic environment so that it can create sustain craftspeople and tradespeople, or the commie concepts like depending on other people for help.

I'm not claiming that carpooling and driving less are not helpful efforts, but when people see such things as the only solutions they should be reaching for, one can likely understand what inspires my fear when it come to the change needed to compensate for dried up oil wells. Perhaps I should just take faith in the electric car craze that one of the panelists saw as the cure-all solution.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

.