Thursday, July 19, 2007

Tomato Stealers

Tuesday we made a mental note to harvest 3 tomatoes that have recently ripened to a nice shade of red. Unfortunately, yesterday morning as I (Heather) was leaving for work, we saw a squirrel trying to run under the fence with the biggest tomato in his greedy little mouth. We've had this happen in years past and still don't quite understand why the squirrels insist on stealing our produce when they tend to take one bite and then leave the remaining part abandoned somewhere in our yard. A note to our neighborhood squirrels: when you leave a partially eaten piece of fruit or vegetable, we find this a bit insulting as we would prefer that if you insist on stealing our food that you go ahead and eat the entire thing. You see, once you've taken a bite, we no longer want it either. We find your habits to be just downright wasteful.

After harvesting a smaller tomato, we put it on our table to enjoy later. However, Quinn had other ideas. When she sat down for dinner, I turned my back for a few seconds and when I turned around, she had the tomato in her hand and was eating it like an apple! She didn't manage the skin too well, so I peeled it for her and she ate the whole thing! I guess she takes after David who has been known to do the same thing. Unlike me, I didn't start liking tomatoes till I was an adult.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

.