Sunday, October 31, 2004

speedy weekend

I (David) have finally decided to use my calendar book again. I have too much academic work to do to ration work out by memory. I have to divide the work out so that something gets done every day. It should be interesting to see how this process works compared to my usual procrastination style. On Thursday I had filled out the calendar for the next month and a half. Already I am behind.

Friday, after a quick nap, I ran some errands. I had forgotten to deposit my paycheck after work, so I had to go back for that one. Then it was off to the tailor to pick up my union made clothes. I highly recommend my tailor to anyone who needs some work done. She used to work in Greece, tailoring designer suits for fashionable Europeans. Let me know if you need contact information for her. So then I went home to prepare for the evening’s critical mass. I found that I enjoy riding in rush hour traffic. On the way to Loring Park, I not only passed the route 16 bus on University Avenue, but I lapped it twice. I also managed to keep pace with car traffic from Dale to Raymond. All this while riding an extremely untrue rear wheel. It was a great day outside until I got there. Once the mass started moving it began to rain. I had brought my fenderless bike. I cut out a little early and headed home, I wanted to save my energy for Saturday’s ride. Heather and I decided to go to bed early, as Heather had to work early the next morning, and I hadn’t gotten enough sleep yet.

Saturday morning was productive on the bike front. I brought the Mongoose and the giant blue Raleigh to the Depot, along with a couple of rear wheels. The Mongoose was swapped out for the Schwinn Traveler I was eyeballing last week. Now I just need to build up wheels for it and find a crank set / 42t sprocket that will go with the coaster brake hub. My orange Schwinn had a flat rear tire, so while changing it, I thought I’d bring the wheel in to true. It turns out that this wheel, which I built myself over a year ago, was not only perfectly true, but it was still tight on both sides. This was not the case with the fenderless bike's rear wheel. It needed a lot of work. The giant blue Raleigh needed a bit of work too. Unfortunately it is so old and decrepit that it will always need a bit of work. But at least it is rideable now, just in case I need a fast bike with fenders someday.

The Saturday night ride was great, despite the fact that we headed west. In getting to the ride, I didn't lap the route 16. In fact, it passed me by the capitol building. We played leap frog all the way to Raymond Avenue. But from there the bus kicked into high gear and was gone. I followed the group ride out to Kenwood or St. Louis Park (or somewhere out there) where we crashed a party hosted by one of Gwen's friends. It was at the party that I realized that I hadn't taken a photo yet, so I made a pathetic attempt. The party was a fun group of character costumes. Though none of the riders were in costume, I somehow managed to get accused of going as a "lighthouse keeper". Apparently my fashion sense is a little dated.

Anyway, now it is Sunday. As I write this, the Nascar pre-race show is just starting. So the race will be taking up a chunk of the afternoon. Then we will be getting ready for a party this evening. I would write more about it, but it is hush hush at the moment. So I'll have to update you on it later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

.