Monday, February 28, 2005

Be it resolved

Chris Coleman’s wife called yesterday evening. She wanted to make sure that I (David) received a response to my inquiry about Coleman’s stance on instant runoff voting. She definitely gets an ‘A’ for effort. Even though I was in the middle of my chicken salad lunch, and NASCAR was on (Martin 7th, Kenseth 26th, and Sadler’s failure to crash put him all the way up in 8th), it was nice to learn that someone cared about my issue. Unfortunately, the Coleman family gets an ‘F’ for content. They went to all the trouble to call me just to say that they haven’t taken a position on the issue. Tell me you’re against it and you at least get a ‘D’. Thanks for interupting my meal and entertainment for nothing, schmucks!

Pissing and moaning aside, here is the resolution language, as promised. Copy, paste, and bring it with you when you go to your caucus tomorrow.

Whereas only 40% to 50% of eligible voters have voted in most elections since the 1980s, and,
Whereas roughly only half of those voters vote for a winning candidate on a national level, and,
Whereas the Electoral College is not effective in representing all of the peoples’ choices, and,
Whereas many voters are often faced with voting strategically for the lesser of two evils rather than a candidate they truly would want in office.

Be it resolved that, we charge the legislature of the State of Minnesota to pass a law that would mandate instant runoff voting in all elections conducted in the state.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

.