Monday, January 22, 2007

You know Jack?


Surprise Surprise; more baby pictures. This time however, they aren't of Quinn. Instead, they are of Quinn's new cousin, Jack. That's right. Not only are we mom and dad, we are now aunt and uncle. Brother John and sister Kelly had young one of their own on Thursday. Read more here, and see more here.

John and I (David) did a little comparing of notes of the whole delivery process. I had neglected to inform him of a couple of crucial things to remember during the process. But in hindsight, and for the benefit of future expectant fathers, here are those details: One, remember to pack a beer. Hospitals don't have vending machines for this sort of thing, and if you forget one, it can be a long time before you get the chance to have one. Second, remember to eat. Even short labors like Heather's can be a long, energy-draining period of time. If you find that you have a few seconds in that time in which to stuff a handful of mixed nuts into your face, your body will thank you for it. While you're at it, wash it down with a beer.

Although brother John doesn't have the good fortune of a 12 week paid paternity leave like I did, he does work from home. So he will be enjoying all of the same delights I had in those first few months of Jack's babyness. Having been back at work for many months now (Quinn just turned 9 months yesterday), Heather and I have been feeling the effects of our limited-day-care lifestyle for way too long. Despite a couple of setbacks in the job search for something that is more enjoyable and pays better, it looks like my ancient request to reduce hours at work is finally going to be established soon. Hopefully in a couple of weeks I will be enjoying my time at home like I did with my days off mentioned in the last post. Quinn and I had a blast that week, despite our illnesses. It was a great break from our usual days where I try to bide our time in between naps.

-------transition line--------

Bike news: Yeah it has been a while since anything bike related has appeared on this blog. And even though I haven't been biking, I have a couple things to report. First is that we purchased a modern bike seat for one of my bikes. Unlike the vintage British child's seat or the car-seat-fastened-to-the-bike-trailer, this one has Heather's seal of approval. So once the weather also meets her approval, we'll be off and riding. Second, Stupor Bowl 10, also known as SBX, is just around the corner. I've been hounding Tim to get me on board as a volunteer (at a cushy location), but details haven't been finalized yet. The next month is shaping up to be a fun one, and some actual biking will be taking place.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm still recovering from Christine's last delivery ... you forgot to mention that the nurses pay almost no attention to you ... I remember I had a really bad headache and no one seemed to care.

3:21 PM  
Blogger John said...

And remember...most pizza establishments will deliver pizza to your hospital room.

2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

.