Friday, December 03, 2004

Belated legal briefs

When most people unwind before bed they have the good fortune of being able to take in an episode of Rose, Letterman, or (shudder) Leno. But not me (David). Getting off work at 8 AM, I come home, feed the cats, crack open a beer and sit down to take in a much smaller spectrum of options. People with sophisticated tastes such as mine (and I don’t think it egotistical to say such, given what follows) are significantly less than fond of morning ‘news’ shows (with the exception of Tom Hauser’s “At issue” on Sundays). So, failing to count the PBS morning programs, the option I’m left with is Matlock. It’s certainly not the greatest show in the world, but its theme song alone is enough to put the driveling content on those morning news shows to shame.

The other day, I was draining the last few drops from a can of PBR while listening to said theme. As the credits were rolling up the screen I saw Burt Reynolds’ name bunched in with the various producers. Now I wouldn’t put it past ol’ Burt to be a producer in some capacity, but I just can’t picture him working on a show that, in its time, was known for an audience of squares. Being dumbfounded, I did a quick WWW search, but found nothing to confirm what I saw in the credits. However, the ‘IMDB’ database also left out Reynolds’ appearance in the X-files, so it is obviously not that accurate. I guess this one is going to remain a mystery. Despite taking in the show a few times per week over the last few months, I don’t think I could muster the patience to watch it regularly until I’ve seen all 9 years worth of episodes, thus giving me the opportunity to catch the same episode again.

To make a short story long, this observation of mine could be taken as a hint by friends and family who read this, that perhaps it is time I get my hands on some of those DVD things that contain re-runs of more current TV shows; perhaps one of those funny shows on cable TV that I’ve never seen before. Until then, I’ll continue to wait for the day that ‘The Untouchables’ returns to the 8:00 time slot.


I had my last capstone class yesterday. I did manage to turn my paper in before the final deadline (not to be confused with the suggested deadline). I got a whopping 10 out of 25 on it, which is good considering that I was aiming for 3 or 4 out of 25. You see, what I meant in my earlier post by my need to finish the paper, I was really saying that I needed to start the paper. Anyway, I was under the impression that I had a grade of around 72/100. By turning in a 3 or 4 point paper, I could be assured a C in the class (welcome to the logic of senioritis). But it turns out that I had a 78 (now 88) and I didn’t need to turn in the paper at all. Go figure. If there is one thing I can say that I have definitely learned in college, it is how to gain the sympathy of professors and higher education institutions. I suspect that the reason my grade was so high was due to the letter that accompanied my paper rather than the paper itself. But let’s hope it was my crappy writing at the last minute because I still have one more final class (in a different subject) in which I have another final paper, as well as a test. From then on my role as a student ends. Perhaps I will become a teacher. I can start by teaching Heather the art of procrastination. She is currently weeks ahead in homework in her master’s level class. So no more using homework as an excuse to get out of something for her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

.