Friday, December 10, 2004

Shanghaied

Several months ago, knowing that the end of school was near, I (David) decided to put a job search on the back burner (yeah, I know… I’m beating it to death, but it is still a good analogy). And now of course, it is time to start thinking about making some serious cash. Knowing that I’d have a portion of my day free, I decided to do a bit of preliminary reconnaissance. With one of my highest priorities being the potential employers’ close proximity to the house, I’ve been considering my options accordingly. I had been eyeballing this place since spring. It took me a while to find them on the WWW. Glancing through their web site, I began to realize that all the pictures were of some rather technical careers. My hope had been that a “foundry” would actually involve some grunt work entry-level positions. Well, in digging a little deeper, I was able to find where those jobs are housed. Unfortunately, a daily commute to China is a bit outside of my budget.

So I think that my scouting efforts later this morning will have to be limited to the one or two intersections on the East Side that still have the glorious industrial manufacturing facilities that I remember from childhood. The opportunities are looking bleak. Boiler making may be too technical, wire spooling to tedious, and working with (and “erecting”) rebar conjures up images of working outdoors. But I’m sure the scouting mission will at least make for an enjoyable bike ride.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

.