Monday, December 20, 2004

It's Christmas tree time in the city



We finally got around to buying a Christmas tree on Saturday. We decided to use the bike trailer, as it is less of a hassle than tying the tree to a car. The neighborhood kids thought the idea was fun. We got the tree at the farmers' market, so I (David) had to go down and up the hill. Since the cops put up one of those speed clocks on the Kellogg bridge, I finally got to compare the top speed of my bikes. On Friday, I took the single speed (42x16) to a meeting at work. The sign said I was only going 21. I don't think I could get that bike to go any faster unless I put on a few pounds. Saturday's bike was the blue Raleigh workhorse. I was hauling an empty trailer, going into a strong head wind, and the rear derailer wouldn't shift to the highest gear. The sign said I was going 30. For a while I was thinking that I should increase the gear ratio on the single speed. But then, as I was hauling the Christmas tree back up the Kellogg bridge, I remembered why it was nice to have a low gear. So, at least for now, the single speed will stay at 42x16.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

.